Modern collections of wallpaper amaze with its variety of colors, patterns and textures. To make the best choice for the kitchen interior, you need to look at many options and take into account some of the nuances.
Variety of wallpapers: the right choice for the kitchen
First of all, let's remind you what types of wallpaper are offered to us by producers:
Paper wallpapers – the most inexpensive, affordable, eco-friendly, but short-lived and impractical. To date, these wallpapers are not even represented in the catalogs on the photo of modern kitchen interiors.
Fabric – in their composition includes silk, linen or cotton. Slightly stronger than paper, but difficult to paste and impractical in the care, so not suitable for finishing the kitchen.
Natural – consist of bamboo strips, wood shavings or dried grass stems, attached to the fabric basis with kapron thread or special glue. Maximum ecological and do not accumulate dirt and dust. To preserve the natural effect, these wallpapers do not paint. But despite all its advantages, natural wallpaper – not the best option for the kitchen, because immediately absorb odors.
Varieties of moisture-resistant wallpaper for the kitchen
Flizeline wallpaper – consist of acrylic and polyester with the addition of cellulose or viscose. They are characterized by a high enough moisture resistance, are elastic, fire-resistant, smooth out irregularities.
Vinyl – polymer coating, applied to non-woven base or special technical paper. Vinyl is moisture resistant, easy to clean, allows for maintenance with household products, does not burn out, so it is ideal for finishing kitchen walls. Moreover, modern production offers so-called "breathable" vinyl wallpaper, which have micropores. They provide excellent air circulation, so they are even more moisture resistant, compared to standard vinyl analogs, which eliminates the appearance of fungus and mold.
Steklooboi – wallpaper for painting, give an unusual relief. Watertight and water resistant, durable, fireproof, look incredibly stylish, but keep in mind – to separate them from the surface of the walls will be very difficult.
Liquid wallpaper – a set of glue, viscose, cotton, cellulose, acetate silk, etc. The coating is applied to the wall as a plaster, which allows creating different patterns. These wallpapers have good heat and sound insulation, they wash well and have a wide range of color palettes.
Each of the options has its pros and cons. For kitchen choose washable wallpaper. Optimal will be vinyl (compact vinyl, non-woven base) or fiberglass.
Color, picture, wallpaper texture for kitchen
In the color design of the kitchen you need to take into account many factors – the flow of light, the geometric shape of the room, its dimensions, etc. There are several key criteria when choosing colors for the kitchen, including wallpapers:
- a large picture visually reduces the room, small, on the contrary, makes it more spacious;
- Vertical images visually raise the ceiling, horizontal (especially the bands) – expand the room, but reduce its height; wallpaper with geometric patterns with intersecting stripes and figures create the effect of continuity of space;
- wallpaper with a pronounced texture creates stunning effects due to the color and play of chiaroscuro;
- a long and narrow kitchen will make the more organic light colors on long walls and dark on short ones;
- Square room – a universal option that allows you to experiment without any restrictions. But still more advantageous is the decision to make one wall accent;
- when choosing the color of wallpaper for the kitchen, you need to take into account not only its dimensions, but also the location of all the windows, because the direction of the light is of great importance in interior design.
Wallpapers in a small kitchen
In a compact kitchen, contrasting canvases with contrasting and very large prints or with vertical strips are contra-indicated. This will only exacerbate the problem of lack of square meters – the room will seem even smaller. In this case, one-tone wallpaper in light shades or with a small, barely noticeable pattern will be appropriate.
If the kitchen is combined with the dining room, you can emphasize zoning by contrasting the combination of wallpaper, thus separating the working area from the dining room.
Harmonious combination of wallpaper in the kitchen
In modern interiors the tendency of combination of different textures, textures and technologies is clearly traced. In this case, the same type of wallpaper goes into the background. But it is important to understand the principle of correct combinations, and the advice of professional decorators will help in this.
The rules for combining wallpaper in the kitchen:
- adhere to a uniform level of price and quality – you can not combine elite and cheap options, this looks very doubtful;
- The wallpaper should not break out of the general style of the kitchen;
- when combining, keep in mind that the wallpaper should be approximately the same thickness, otherwise there will be problems with the jointing of seams and the choice of edging;
- when choosing bright panels with large drawings, the rest of the space should be monophonic;
Additional decor and several design techniques
For a long time zoning techniques and the "accent wall" have not gone out of fashion. Also, for visual adjustment of height designers use vertical stripes and drawings, and area changes are horizontal.
Reception of symmetry in the application of vertical bands
In the center of the room on two walls glued wide strips of wallpaper of contrasting colors. This visually balances the length and width of the kitchen.
One wall is covered with a bright strip in the middle, and opposite to the similar stripes, but different in width. This technique visually expands and at the same time makes the elongated kitchen shorter.
A popular method is a combination of standard wallpaper (and under painting) with a border. Typical combinations:
- wallpaper in a strip with a monophonic bottom;
- Large flowers and monograms with a monochrome curb;
- monochrome or with a fine print top and striped bottom;
- a monochrome top and a large bottom with a floral or other pattern.
The choice of combination depends on the specific task – what to balance with.
Choose the wall of the kitchen, which immediately falls a look. It is distinguished in a variety of ways – 3D-wallpaper, panels, bright canvases, or decorated with additional decorative elements. As a matter of fact, such reception more expresses a bright individuality of owners of the house.
3D wallpaper in the kitchen
Along with the usual wallpaper, designers offer a more interesting collection of 3D. These are large-format beautiful drawings and patterns, applied to a different type of fabric based on special technology. Such wallpaper creates a three-dimensional effect and a sense of presence in the image. 3D illusion is achieved through lenticular plastic (a set of lenses parallel to each other, cylindrical shape and different caliber). As a rule, such wall-paper form only an accent wall.
Pros and cons of 3D wallpaper
The advantages of 3D wallpapers are, of course,:
- production on vinyl, non-woven basis, synthetic fabrics, etc .;
- such paintings do not burn out, they retain color very long;
- are environmentally friendly and completely non-toxic – they are made using high quality Japanese paints;
- practical in care, easily amenable to any means of household chemicals;
- effective – they have no analogues in such a realistic immersion in the image.
Obviously, the disadvantage of such wallpapers is their high cost, as well as relevance only in large rooms.
Kitchen wallpapers: photo 2017
The following photos show 2017 novelties and original designer wallpaper solutions for the kitchen.